Skip to main content

Guacimo

I got in a taxi for the first time ever last Friday. We caught one just out in front of the Villa. We took the taxi to the bus station where we paid about $3 for a ticket to Guacimo Costa Rica, about an hour and half bus ride from Guapalupe. The weather difference between here and there was almost unbelievable, it was about as hot and humid there as it was in Haiti. We arrived around 6:30 but we were exhausted after a full day of Spanish and bible class. It is also dark outside by about 6pm so we were ready for bed. However, they were having church and we were there to help with the missionary conference at the church. When we got there they asked us to do our games with the kids that we had planned. I didn't know that was part of the plan so we covered it with some "Símon Dice". Then we were introduced to the families we would be staying with. We were all together a group of four, two guys and two girls. The guys were put in a house together but Samie and I were split. I stayed with a SCORE missionary family. They had two daughters that both spoke fluent English so communicating with my family was easy when they were nearby. When they were not however I definitely practiced my Spanish alot and pulled together everything I know. I also did alot of studying and Spanish homework with their help. The girls were very sweet to me and helpful and my host mother was lovely. My host father was sarcastic even when he only knew a few English words so we got along great. He told me on my first night there that we were all getting up at 5am to go for a run. I asked him if he was telling me this because he wanted me to watch the house while he was gone. On Saturday we went to church to help clean up for that night. The four of us helped clean and set things up but when we were done we had about 5 hours until it was time for church. I went back to my host family's house but the other three went to one house for lunch. I did get a lot of study time in and my host father put up a hammock for me.
We had church that night and I felt awful because I didn't pack much and I only had one church outfit for Sunday morning so I was going in shorts and a t-shirt. That night we didn't get to help much except with the kids craft because we didn't have time for games. Then after church they had a small dinner to try foods from the different countries represented at the conference. My host moms empanadas were jammin but some of the other stuff was not cutting it. Like for example there was this sugar water with kernels of corn in it... There was also cake that I felt like it should be awesome but just was not right. It was still cool to try different things.
Then Sunday morning I did look presentable for church. We all sat in for the service where I understood about one out of every twenty words. I think the pastor must have thought the look of confusion on my face was humorous because he kept laughing and smirking at me. Then he pointed out us four Americans and asked the entire congregation to welcome us. I thought it would be like in America when people turn to the people nearest them to welcome them.  Instead they lined up to greet us and for the first time I was kissed on the cheek by an entire church.
After church I went back to my house for lunch and then the pastor gave us a ride to the bus station. The coolest thing ever happened. Our bus back to San Jose was a double decker bus so we got to ride on the top level. I really had a great time with the other GAP students and staying with a host family was a great experience. Mi mamma told me I was welcome back any time.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Poop-tarts and Pop-tarts"

One semester down and one to go!  Somehow time has flown by. I feel like it was yesterday that we were picking the students up at the airport, but I know so much has happened these past few months. As a house, we have gone through many "poop-tarts and pop-tarts" or highs and lows. There have been unexpected changes along the way and even more unexpected challenges. As a staff, we faced sickness of many kinds. The students have been challenged in their faith and challenged to re-evaluate how they view the world. There has been much growth because of these challenges and I praise God for His faithfulness through it all. Praise God for coffee and friends This semester has consisted of many outings, adventures, classes, and times of fellowship. For example, in the middle of the semester we took a trip to Nicaragua to get our passports stamped. That was a refreshing time spent together outside of the Villa. However, it is guaranteed that there are no guarantees...

GAP Costa Rica 2020

GAP Class of 2020 We have had 29 days all together here in Costa Rica! This year we have 8 staff members and 13 students. I am so thankful for the team the Lord has put together and for each of the students the Lord has brought to Costa Rica. I am so thankful to be here and to have the honor of caring for and loving these 13 students this year. Staff arrived August 13th and students arrived August 22nd. Since then we have done orientation, explored San Jose, did a scavenger hunt around Guadalupe, started Spanish classes, began ministries, started small groups, and had 4 Bible classes; Old Testament Survey, Hermeneutics, New Testament Survey and Church History. We have played lots of ultimate frisbee, plenty of Spicy Uno and there have been countless numbers of trips made to Automercado grocery store. So yeah, lots has happened in these last four weeks. Los Guido Ministry Team We started ministry in Los Guido. We are again having children's English class and youth cla...

Round Two

Hello all, As I mentioned before I am heading back to Costa Rica for a second year as the Female Student Life Coordinator for the GAP year program through Score International. This past year was challenging for sure which made for an excellent learning and growing experience. There were many highs and lows, but the grace of God was ever present. Through the course of these last nine months, we saw the Lord guide and direct 20 students, 4 interns, and 5 staff members closer to himself. I am beyond thankful for the year the Lord gave us and the students He sent to Costa Rica. I am also very excited for this coming year. I know that the Lord is going before us to send the right students and staff to Costa Rica. This year my role will be very much the same as last year. My ministry has been and is two parts. One is focusing on the GAP students. Second, it is leading a group of students to partner with Salva and Veronica in a town called Los Guido where my team is able to h...