Skip to main content

Dream Job

Pc: Abby Shaw



Hello everyone!

It has been a little over a month since I arrived in Costa Rica to serve as the Female Student Life Director for the GAP program.

In some ways being here is still surprising because I never imagined I would have the chance to come live here again. In other ways, living in Costa Rica and in the Villa feels absolutely natural; it feels like I am home. In many ways this is my dream job. Starting from 10th grade when I first traveled to Costa Rica I knew I wanted to spend my life traveling and mentoring students. I had no idea what that would look like or that I would end up in Costa Rica. Then not only am I working at GAP, but, I am also continuing to work for Lancaster Bible College as their International Admissions Counselor. God has been so generous. 

Our Leadership Team


GAP Students 2018-2019
Pictured above is this year's GAP class. The students have been here for three weeks. In those three weeks they have begun Spanish classes which go from 8:45am- 12:00pm. They also are taking Bible classes, which so far have included Hermeneutics, Old Testament Survey, and New Testament Survey. Bible class is from 1:00pm- 4:00pm Tuesday through Friday. Every year students are challenged to think through their assumptions about Christianity and what it means to truly make their faith their own.

Team Building 
When students arrived, we jumped right into getting to know each other. In this photo the students were literally jumping as they figured out a way to turn a tarp over that 24 of them were standing on. Jeff Hacket, our US GAP Director, was here to visit and he led the students through a few team building activities. 

Exploring Downtown
Within a few days of being here we took the students downtown to explore San Jose. We split into small groups so the students could learn how to take the bus, navigate downtown, and find some of our favorite places to go shopping and eat some snacks!  

Ministry Crew: Los Guido Forever
The students were also all split into ministry teams. This year, I am leading the Los Guido team. I had been in the Los Guido ministry my student year and now get to lead our group in ministry there! We will be going to Los Guido every Saturday to teach English classes and help with youth group. Every other Sunday we will go to Bible study there, and on the other week we will go to church with our ministry leader Salva and his family. 


Dodgeball at youth group 
Our first Saturday in Los Guido we had a lesson and played a few games with the students.



Students Leading Youth Group

I am also praising God to see how much the students in Los Guido have grown. When I first went to Los Guido my student year, we were having group in a small, one-room building. There were around 10-15 students who would come to group consistently. In the last few years the group has doubled in size, and the students who were merely attending when I was there before are now leading their group. The student leaders plan and lead the games and worship. Also, while Salva, their leader, was away visiting family, a student in the ministry led the Bible study portion of the youth group. They were very excited to have Salva back, but, I am so impressed and I am praising God to see the work He has been doing in the students' lives.

I am excited to continue my ministry in the Villa with the GAP students and in Los Guido. God is at work; I am just honored to be part of that.


Continue to pray for us! You can pray that the students grow in confidence in their Spanish as they do outreach in their perspective ministries. Pray that Los Guido ministry continues to grow and that leadership would have wisdom to see the ministry through potential growth and changes. Pray for the GAP students as they are challenged in their Bible classes that they would study God's Word for themselves and let their knowledge transform their lives.

Also I am praising God that I am fully funded for this year! HUGE thank you to everyone who supported me. If you were interested in supporting me but are now finding out that I am fully-funded I know of some incredible students here in Costa Rica who could use your support. Please ask me about how you could donate if you are interested! Also be praying for the students as they raise the rest of their support. Thank you! 

Love has no borders,

Rachel Martha 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Poop-tarts and Pop-tarts"

One semester down and one to go!  Somehow time has flown by. I feel like it was yesterday that we were picking the students up at the airport, but I know so much has happened these past few months. As a house, we have gone through many "poop-tarts and pop-tarts" or highs and lows. There have been unexpected changes along the way and even more unexpected challenges. As a staff, we faced sickness of many kinds. The students have been challenged in their faith and challenged to re-evaluate how they view the world. There has been much growth because of these challenges and I praise God for His faithfulness through it all. Praise God for coffee and friends This semester has consisted of many outings, adventures, classes, and times of fellowship. For example, in the middle of the semester we took a trip to Nicaragua to get our passports stamped. That was a refreshing time spent together outside of the Villa. However, it is guaranteed that there are no guarantees...

GAP Costa Rica 2020

GAP Class of 2020 We have had 29 days all together here in Costa Rica! This year we have 8 staff members and 13 students. I am so thankful for the team the Lord has put together and for each of the students the Lord has brought to Costa Rica. I am so thankful to be here and to have the honor of caring for and loving these 13 students this year. Staff arrived August 13th and students arrived August 22nd. Since then we have done orientation, explored San Jose, did a scavenger hunt around Guadalupe, started Spanish classes, began ministries, started small groups, and had 4 Bible classes; Old Testament Survey, Hermeneutics, New Testament Survey and Church History. We have played lots of ultimate frisbee, plenty of Spicy Uno and there have been countless numbers of trips made to Automercado grocery store. So yeah, lots has happened in these last four weeks. Los Guido Ministry Team We started ministry in Los Guido. We are again having children's English class and youth cla...

Round Two

Hello all, As I mentioned before I am heading back to Costa Rica for a second year as the Female Student Life Coordinator for the GAP year program through Score International. This past year was challenging for sure which made for an excellent learning and growing experience. There were many highs and lows, but the grace of God was ever present. Through the course of these last nine months, we saw the Lord guide and direct 20 students, 4 interns, and 5 staff members closer to himself. I am beyond thankful for the year the Lord gave us and the students He sent to Costa Rica. I am also very excited for this coming year. I know that the Lord is going before us to send the right students and staff to Costa Rica. This year my role will be very much the same as last year. My ministry has been and is two parts. One is focusing on the GAP students. Second, it is leading a group of students to partner with Salva and Veronica in a town called Los Guido where my team is able to h...