Skip to main content

Day 6- headed home... but not me

Today was really the last day for everyone on the trip. Tomorrow the first one leaves around 10am. Then the group gets on a plane at 5pm. But I am so blessed because get to stay behind with Jen Musa who arrives at 4:30pm tomorrow. Her and our small group will be doing an art project with the kids in Grande Saline, working with the computers, checking on the water filtration system, visiting pastor Vincent's kids, going to Mother Teresa's children's hospital, and visiting Dr. Ken at his new clinic. The first part of the trip was geared towards medical missions. And this part will be more of the hands on working with the kids and teaching. This is more of what I did on our last trip. I am not very involved in anything in the medical field so a lot of that part of the work was new to me.
I am really going to miss everyone I was with for the first six days. I would say I love them all. I learned from them as I worked with them. We had fun and we laughed a lot. And we really did great things in the short time we were all here together.
Today we started our day at Mother Teresa's home for the dying. I went to play with children while others went in with the older ladies to paint nails, apply lotion, and pray with them. We gave out toys to the kids, painted nails, and kicked around a ball. No one got their hair braided this time though so no thug life for me.
We went home around 1 and got cleaned up to go to the orphanage. We went with more toys so we ended up playing card games, flying kites, coloring, jumping rope, and of course playing soccer. I spent some time as goalie and a little time on defense. I was always on the winning team. Lol those children can really play their futball.
I got a lot of great pictures of the day thanks to the kids sharing my phone to take photos. I also got some more great pictures of the kids I spent the most time with. The goodbyes are always hard especially when they don't know the next time they will see each other. But thankfully I will be there again Tuesday to say goodbye.
I do miss some little things about home but there are many things I would give up to spend more time here serving in Haiti. Tomorrow we are going on another visit to the children's hospital and then everyone else is going home. So ta-ta for now!
Love has no borders,
- Rachel Martha 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Poop-tarts and Pop-tarts"

One semester down and one to go!  Somehow time has flown by. I feel like it was yesterday that we were picking the students up at the airport, but I know so much has happened these past few months. As a house, we have gone through many "poop-tarts and pop-tarts" or highs and lows. There have been unexpected changes along the way and even more unexpected challenges. As a staff, we faced sickness of many kinds. The students have been challenged in their faith and challenged to re-evaluate how they view the world. There has been much growth because of these challenges and I praise God for His faithfulness through it all. Praise God for coffee and friends This semester has consisted of many outings, adventures, classes, and times of fellowship. For example, in the middle of the semester we took a trip to Nicaragua to get our passports stamped. That was a refreshing time spent together outside of the Villa. However, it is guaranteed that there are no guarantees...

GAP Costa Rica 2020

GAP Class of 2020 We have had 29 days all together here in Costa Rica! This year we have 8 staff members and 13 students. I am so thankful for the team the Lord has put together and for each of the students the Lord has brought to Costa Rica. I am so thankful to be here and to have the honor of caring for and loving these 13 students this year. Staff arrived August 13th and students arrived August 22nd. Since then we have done orientation, explored San Jose, did a scavenger hunt around Guadalupe, started Spanish classes, began ministries, started small groups, and had 4 Bible classes; Old Testament Survey, Hermeneutics, New Testament Survey and Church History. We have played lots of ultimate frisbee, plenty of Spicy Uno and there have been countless numbers of trips made to Automercado grocery store. So yeah, lots has happened in these last four weeks. Los Guido Ministry Team We started ministry in Los Guido. We are again having children's English class and youth cla...

Round Two

Hello all, As I mentioned before I am heading back to Costa Rica for a second year as the Female Student Life Coordinator for the GAP year program through Score International. This past year was challenging for sure which made for an excellent learning and growing experience. There were many highs and lows, but the grace of God was ever present. Through the course of these last nine months, we saw the Lord guide and direct 20 students, 4 interns, and 5 staff members closer to himself. I am beyond thankful for the year the Lord gave us and the students He sent to Costa Rica. I am also very excited for this coming year. I know that the Lord is going before us to send the right students and staff to Costa Rica. This year my role will be very much the same as last year. My ministry has been and is two parts. One is focusing on the GAP students. Second, it is leading a group of students to partner with Salva and Veronica in a town called Los Guido where my team is able to h...