Skip to main content

In the Beginning

Hmm... blogging? I'll take a whack at it. Writing is not my thing so don't judge too harshly. I am hoping this blog will grow with me. Who knows someday I might be good enough to actually buy my own domain. I graduated from High School June 2014. I went to community college and graduated with my liberal arts degree in a year. I think travel is my thing because every time I hear of a new place I spend a couple hours Googling pictures of the places to visit, the people, the scenery, the hotels, and the price for a plane ticket. So... I obsess a little, what's the problem?

I traveled to Costa Rica in 2012. I think I fell in love. Who knew that there could be a country that just felt different from home? A place where everyone I met was friendly and relaxed? #PuraVida
It was my first time away from home by myself and my first real adventure. We went surfing, white water rafting, zip lining, and horseback riding through the jungle. We also visited a couple of schools and orphanages where we donated clothes, money, and school supplies. We spent a few nights staying in tent hotel rooms in the jungle and staying at biodiversity research facility. Coming home felt more lonely than being there away from home. I swore that I would go back. People always ask really short answered questions about your trips. Q; How was it? A: It was good. I just added it was good and I will be going back.

Well I've been working on it. This August I will be headed to Costa Rica for a nine month mission trip with SCORE International. We will spend hours in classes everyday learning Spanish and studying the Bible. On the weekends we will go out on excursions to work in the community teaching English, organizing soccer camps for kids, and many other community projects.

My faith seems to be like a flower. (I have a black thumb, everything I plant dies). I am working on feeding my faith, developing it, and really concentrating on deciding how I will live my life more faith-based. I grew up going to church. I would say that I am a Christian. But to understand anything you have to do your research. No more blind faith. It is time to dig-in and really figure this thing out. And this trip back to Costa Rica will be that year of discovery and development: a time to go from a child's faith to a personal relationship.

During this past year of saving absolutely every nickle and working multiple jobs to save for the Costa Rica mission trip I did splurge a little. I went to Haiti. And I am going again. And somehow I fell in love again. It was beautiful. We worked with some of the most amazing people. We installed a water filtration system and solar panels in rural Grande Saline. We set up clinics in the largest slum in the Western Hemisphere. We gave children toys, soccer balls, and clothes.

And at the end of everyday I was happy and ready to do more. This blog, at this point, is going to be "the more". Instead of trying to explain what happened everyday here it shall be. So for any of those interested I am happy to share my experiences, adventures, and discoveries.

Love has no borders,
Rachel Martha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Poop-tarts and Pop-tarts"

One semester down and one to go!  Somehow time has flown by. I feel like it was yesterday that we were picking the students up at the airport, but I know so much has happened these past few months. As a house, we have gone through many "poop-tarts and pop-tarts" or highs and lows. There have been unexpected changes along the way and even more unexpected challenges. As a staff, we faced sickness of many kinds. The students have been challenged in their faith and challenged to re-evaluate how they view the world. There has been much growth because of these challenges and I praise God for His faithfulness through it all. Praise God for coffee and friends This semester has consisted of many outings, adventures, classes, and times of fellowship. For example, in the middle of the semester we took a trip to Nicaragua to get our passports stamped. That was a refreshing time spent together outside of the Villa. However, it is guaranteed that there are no guarantees...

GAP Costa Rica 2020

GAP Class of 2020 We have had 29 days all together here in Costa Rica! This year we have 8 staff members and 13 students. I am so thankful for the team the Lord has put together and for each of the students the Lord has brought to Costa Rica. I am so thankful to be here and to have the honor of caring for and loving these 13 students this year. Staff arrived August 13th and students arrived August 22nd. Since then we have done orientation, explored San Jose, did a scavenger hunt around Guadalupe, started Spanish classes, began ministries, started small groups, and had 4 Bible classes; Old Testament Survey, Hermeneutics, New Testament Survey and Church History. We have played lots of ultimate frisbee, plenty of Spicy Uno and there have been countless numbers of trips made to Automercado grocery store. So yeah, lots has happened in these last four weeks. Los Guido Ministry Team We started ministry in Los Guido. We are again having children's English class and youth cla...

Round Two

Hello all, As I mentioned before I am heading back to Costa Rica for a second year as the Female Student Life Coordinator for the GAP year program through Score International. This past year was challenging for sure which made for an excellent learning and growing experience. There were many highs and lows, but the grace of God was ever present. Through the course of these last nine months, we saw the Lord guide and direct 20 students, 4 interns, and 5 staff members closer to himself. I am beyond thankful for the year the Lord gave us and the students He sent to Costa Rica. I am also very excited for this coming year. I know that the Lord is going before us to send the right students and staff to Costa Rica. This year my role will be very much the same as last year. My ministry has been and is two parts. One is focusing on the GAP students. Second, it is leading a group of students to partner with Salva and Veronica in a town called Los Guido where my team is able to h...