Skip to main content

Day 2

Well I am tired. Past 9? Past my bedtime.
Today started around 7am for breakfast prepared by Barbra, our lovely cook here at Estinfil Guesthouse. I missed those scrambled eggs and the grapefruit juice was on-point this morning. We had to leave for Mother Teresa's children's hospital to make it there by 9. Driving is always an adventure in Haiti but today... even more so. The bus just wasn't squishing through those little spaces as expected.
However we made it. And we were let in at about 9:30 along with two other groups to go play with the kids. Some of us helped with feeding them or we just held them, sang with them, prayed for them, and tossed them in the air as they yelled "again again"! We spent about an hour and a half with the kids then headed back to the guesthouse.
After taking a breather and getting the luggage slightly more organized we headed to Pastor Vincent's orphanage. A few of us in the group had some very special friends to reconnect with at the orphanage and others were ready to dive in. We handed out all kinds of toys, books, bags, clothes, and drawing pads. We spent time singing, playing soccer, or better yet "football", baseball, and coloring. Saying goodbye is always hard but the time we spent there was awesome.
Then... to the Deli Mart. That might not be a big deal to you. Like hey, okay, you went to the grocery store but, I am saying this because I want you to know: there are real stores in Haiti with florescent lights, coolers, aisles, and oreos. So have no fear the oreos are here. And Pringles and Gatorade and a lot of bottled water.

Then home where we all hovered over the table watching for dinner so we could pounce. And it was fantastic! Always is. I could eat this stuff forever. I am going to hire some Haitian cooks or something. #bringhomebarbra haha just kidding
And there was... CAKE! Happy Birthday Tony! We all enjoyed dinner and sitting together on the roof. I love being part of this group!
We're out on another adventure tomorrow. It will be a clinic day so I am excited to see where I will fit into that. Thanks for reading. Roger that. Over and out Huston.

Love has no borders,
Rachel Martha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Poop-tarts and Pop-tarts"

One semester down and one to go!  Somehow time has flown by. I feel like it was yesterday that we were picking the students up at the airport, but I know so much has happened these past few months. As a house, we have gone through many "poop-tarts and pop-tarts" or highs and lows. There have been unexpected changes along the way and even more unexpected challenges. As a staff, we faced sickness of many kinds. The students have been challenged in their faith and challenged to re-evaluate how they view the world. There has been much growth because of these challenges and I praise God for His faithfulness through it all. Praise God for coffee and friends This semester has consisted of many outings, adventures, classes, and times of fellowship. For example, in the middle of the semester we took a trip to Nicaragua to get our passports stamped. That was a refreshing time spent together outside of the Villa. However, it is guaranteed that there are no guarantees...

GAP Costa Rica 2020

GAP Class of 2020 We have had 29 days all together here in Costa Rica! This year we have 8 staff members and 13 students. I am so thankful for the team the Lord has put together and for each of the students the Lord has brought to Costa Rica. I am so thankful to be here and to have the honor of caring for and loving these 13 students this year. Staff arrived August 13th and students arrived August 22nd. Since then we have done orientation, explored San Jose, did a scavenger hunt around Guadalupe, started Spanish classes, began ministries, started small groups, and had 4 Bible classes; Old Testament Survey, Hermeneutics, New Testament Survey and Church History. We have played lots of ultimate frisbee, plenty of Spicy Uno and there have been countless numbers of trips made to Automercado grocery store. So yeah, lots has happened in these last four weeks. Los Guido Ministry Team We started ministry in Los Guido. We are again having children's English class and youth cla...

Round Two

Hello all, As I mentioned before I am heading back to Costa Rica for a second year as the Female Student Life Coordinator for the GAP year program through Score International. This past year was challenging for sure which made for an excellent learning and growing experience. There were many highs and lows, but the grace of God was ever present. Through the course of these last nine months, we saw the Lord guide and direct 20 students, 4 interns, and 5 staff members closer to himself. I am beyond thankful for the year the Lord gave us and the students He sent to Costa Rica. I am also very excited for this coming year. I know that the Lord is going before us to send the right students and staff to Costa Rica. This year my role will be very much the same as last year. My ministry has been and is two parts. One is focusing on the GAP students. Second, it is leading a group of students to partner with Salva and Veronica in a town called Los Guido where my team is able to h...