Skip to main content

Day 1 again in Haiti

Today I flew to Haiti for a second time. And when I walked off of the plane I was singing. I couldn't be happier. I love working here. I love the people. And we have an amazing group of people all working together. They inspire me constantly.

We drove to Newburg NY at 1am and got on a plane at 6am. From there we flew to Fort Lauderdale where we had a four hour layover. Then we flew to Haiti. Last time coming into the airport was chaotic and somewhat scary. But I'll give myself some credit and say I'm getting better at this. We, as always, had to hurry up and wait, but that just seems to be the way it is. We were waiting for one more of the group to make it to the airport because there had been a thunder storm in FL that delayed our flights. But in the end we all made it safe and sound to the airport.

Again walking outside there was chaos as we tried to haul all of our bags through while being watched by a crowd. But this time it just felt normal and expected. We got to our new little bus that MHJ (Missionaries in the Heart of Jesus) shipped to Haiti for their use and for Pastor Vincent and his kids. (He is the pastor we worked with before with the kids and for the food distribution and clinics in Cité Soleil.)  And from there we went to the guesthouse. We were all exhausted. We ate dinner, unpacked, and relaxed. And now it is time to get some rest because tomorrow we get to work.
Goodnight!
Love has no borders,
-Rachel Martha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Poop-tarts and Pop-tarts"

One semester down and one to go!  Somehow time has flown by. I feel like it was yesterday that we were picking the students up at the airport, but I know so much has happened these past few months. As a house, we have gone through many "poop-tarts and pop-tarts" or highs and lows. There have been unexpected changes along the way and even more unexpected challenges. As a staff, we faced sickness of many kinds. The students have been challenged in their faith and challenged to re-evaluate how they view the world. There has been much growth because of these challenges and I praise God for His faithfulness through it all. Praise God for coffee and friends This semester has consisted of many outings, adventures, classes, and times of fellowship. For example, in the middle of the semester we took a trip to Nicaragua to get our passports stamped. That was a refreshing time spent together outside of the Villa. However, it is guaranteed that there are no guarantees...

GAP Costa Rica 2020

GAP Class of 2020 We have had 29 days all together here in Costa Rica! This year we have 8 staff members and 13 students. I am so thankful for the team the Lord has put together and for each of the students the Lord has brought to Costa Rica. I am so thankful to be here and to have the honor of caring for and loving these 13 students this year. Staff arrived August 13th and students arrived August 22nd. Since then we have done orientation, explored San Jose, did a scavenger hunt around Guadalupe, started Spanish classes, began ministries, started small groups, and had 4 Bible classes; Old Testament Survey, Hermeneutics, New Testament Survey and Church History. We have played lots of ultimate frisbee, plenty of Spicy Uno and there have been countless numbers of trips made to Automercado grocery store. So yeah, lots has happened in these last four weeks. Los Guido Ministry Team We started ministry in Los Guido. We are again having children's English class and youth cla...

Round Two

Hello all, As I mentioned before I am heading back to Costa Rica for a second year as the Female Student Life Coordinator for the GAP year program through Score International. This past year was challenging for sure which made for an excellent learning and growing experience. There were many highs and lows, but the grace of God was ever present. Through the course of these last nine months, we saw the Lord guide and direct 20 students, 4 interns, and 5 staff members closer to himself. I am beyond thankful for the year the Lord gave us and the students He sent to Costa Rica. I am also very excited for this coming year. I know that the Lord is going before us to send the right students and staff to Costa Rica. This year my role will be very much the same as last year. My ministry has been and is two parts. One is focusing on the GAP students. Second, it is leading a group of students to partner with Salva and Veronica in a town called Los Guido where my team is able to h...