Skip to main content

Ministry and Life

Ministry has been really awesome! Every week I'm excited to go hang out with our kids and they seem excited to see us. We have really been able to build relationships with them and love on them. They're such a great group and since camp our relationships with them have improved a ton. We are always joking with each other and picking on each other.
At group we always have a snack. A couple weeks ago we were able to make... PANCAKES! It was awesome and then last week two of our girls had birthdays so we got them a cake!

Many of our kids have accepted Christ if not all of them and there has been a visible difference in them. In Los Guido Salvador, the guy in charge of our ministry, has started a church. So far we are meeting every other week. At this point they cannot afford to rent out the church space every week. We've met twice so far. The first time a couple families attended with their kids from group. The second time mostly just our youth were there. I'm excited just to see them there and spend time with them.

Our teaching English ministry has been going well. It's crazy that we only have a few weeks left for class! It's almost the end! I would never have guessed living abroad for 8 months would go so fast. Classes vary a lot but usually there are about 15-20 students there. We were able to go to lunch at one of our students' houses and also out to dinner with a family that came to class. Some of our other teachers were able to meet up with some of their students and some other people they have met while passing out flyers to advertise the classes. It's been awesome to see the ministry change and develop over time.

This weekend I went to Turrialba, about 2 hours away, and sadly missed my other ministries but it was cool to see a new place and spend time with different people.

This week we are studying the book of Romans. Only 20 days of classes left and 5 more weekends of ministry!

I'm excited, scared, sad, ready, and I'm not sure what else! But I'll be seeing NY really soon!

I've applied for a job at Binghamton University with Upward Bound for the summer and I did an interview for it last Friday! So be praying about that! Also be praying about my choice of college for next year and the finances to pay for it. Lastly, that while I'm still here I will be present in it continuing to learn and grow!

Thanks fam!

Love has no borders,
- Rachel Martha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Poop-tarts and Pop-tarts"

One semester down and one to go!  Somehow time has flown by. I feel like it was yesterday that we were picking the students up at the airport, but I know so much has happened these past few months. As a house, we have gone through many "poop-tarts and pop-tarts" or highs and lows. There have been unexpected changes along the way and even more unexpected challenges. As a staff, we faced sickness of many kinds. The students have been challenged in their faith and challenged to re-evaluate how they view the world. There has been much growth because of these challenges and I praise God for His faithfulness through it all. Praise God for coffee and friends This semester has consisted of many outings, adventures, classes, and times of fellowship. For example, in the middle of the semester we took a trip to Nicaragua to get our passports stamped. That was a refreshing time spent together outside of the Villa. However, it is guaranteed that there are no guarantees...

GAP Costa Rica 2020

GAP Class of 2020 We have had 29 days all together here in Costa Rica! This year we have 8 staff members and 13 students. I am so thankful for the team the Lord has put together and for each of the students the Lord has brought to Costa Rica. I am so thankful to be here and to have the honor of caring for and loving these 13 students this year. Staff arrived August 13th and students arrived August 22nd. Since then we have done orientation, explored San Jose, did a scavenger hunt around Guadalupe, started Spanish classes, began ministries, started small groups, and had 4 Bible classes; Old Testament Survey, Hermeneutics, New Testament Survey and Church History. We have played lots of ultimate frisbee, plenty of Spicy Uno and there have been countless numbers of trips made to Automercado grocery store. So yeah, lots has happened in these last four weeks. Los Guido Ministry Team We started ministry in Los Guido. We are again having children's English class and youth cla...

Round Two

Hello all, As I mentioned before I am heading back to Costa Rica for a second year as the Female Student Life Coordinator for the GAP year program through Score International. This past year was challenging for sure which made for an excellent learning and growing experience. There were many highs and lows, but the grace of God was ever present. Through the course of these last nine months, we saw the Lord guide and direct 20 students, 4 interns, and 5 staff members closer to himself. I am beyond thankful for the year the Lord gave us and the students He sent to Costa Rica. I am also very excited for this coming year. I know that the Lord is going before us to send the right students and staff to Costa Rica. This year my role will be very much the same as last year. My ministry has been and is two parts. One is focusing on the GAP students. Second, it is leading a group of students to partner with Salva and Veronica in a town called Los Guido where my team is able to h...