Skip to main content

Looking Back and Thinking Forward


Hello Friends and Family!

It is that time of year again to make decisions and figure out what next year will look like except... those decisions have already been made for this year... praise God. In August I will be returning to Costa Rica to serve as the Female Student Life Director once again.
This year has brought me great joy to serve and disciple students. This year, we have seen 5 of our students commit their lives to Christ and more than that make decisions to re-dedicate themselves to the Lord. In November, nine of our students were baptized. Every day I watch my students discover what it means to die to themselves and choose to live for Jesus instead and to choose to put the needs and desires of others before their own. It meant they needed to choose to serve in their ministries even when they were tired. It meant they they had to choose to work hard in Bible and Spanish classes to the glory of God. It meant that when they were uncomfortable they had to choose an attitude of joy over complaining and so much more.
Hanging out with our youth
Though this is not always easy I trust that God will fulfill Philippians 1:6 in the lives of each of these students. He will carry on to completion what He has begun. I simply was invited to participate in that process, with these students, for the year. Now it is nearly time for them to head home to put into practice all that they have learned this year.
Girls Night
Since my last update, the students have had classes on Biblical Counseling, Biblical Finance, Romans, Discipleship, Christ in the Old Testament, Church History, James, and Colossians. This coming week I will be teaching a class on Apologetics.
This semester we have been working to give students as many opportunities as possible to experience Costa Rica, learn Spanish, and be exposed to the culture. In February, families came to visit. They were able to shadow the students in their ministries, see the city where we live and spend a day in La Furtuna near Arenal Volcano. About two weeks ago we had another guys night/girls night. We also took students to a Saprissa soccer game, did a one-day beach trip and we are planning a hike and a day trip to a river to go swimming on Monday.
DR Visit
You might have seen that I posted about traveling to the Dominican Republic. I had the incredible opportunity to rep for Lancaster Bible College at our GAP year program in the DR. This was a very encouraging, quick trip where I was able to tell their students about what LBC can offer them and also a time to see how their team leads GAP in the DR.
This past week we traveled to Panama to renew our passports and then spent two days in a beach town back in Costa Rica. We were able to take the students to Cahuita National Park and to an animal rescue center. So, if you have seen a lot of adventure pictures recently, it has been due to all the trips we have been squeezing into this semester. 
Beach trip after crossing the border to Panama
With a little less than 5 weeks to go we need prayer. Please pray that our students will pursue excellence in all that they do as our time comes to a close. Pray for the apologetics class that I am teaching this week. Pray that God would accomplish great things in all of our hearts and minds as we complete the year. Also please pray that I would be able to support raise the needed $5,000 for next year. If you are interested in partnering with me as you can do so here: Rachel Liddic- Student Life Director. 

Youth Group in Los Guido during parents week
This program is a major blessing to me and I am pumped that I get to serve and love another group of students. I know God is using this house, this team, this country and overall this program to make a difference in the lives of students. If you are reading this and are interested in taking a gap year please let me know! I would love to talk to you about GAP. If you are reading this and would like to partner with me to support me through prayer and/or financially please let me know.
Love has no borders,
Rachel Martha
Youth ESL Class



Children's ESL Class


Comments

  1. Rachel, I am so proud of you and how you are serving our Lord! It warms my heart! My prayers are with you always! Let me know where I can send you a check to make a little donation to your ministry. You are so blessed!
    Love you and miss you!
    Barnesy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Poop-tarts and Pop-tarts"

One semester down and one to go!  Somehow time has flown by. I feel like it was yesterday that we were picking the students up at the airport, but I know so much has happened these past few months. As a house, we have gone through many "poop-tarts and pop-tarts" or highs and lows. There have been unexpected changes along the way and even more unexpected challenges. As a staff, we faced sickness of many kinds. The students have been challenged in their faith and challenged to re-evaluate how they view the world. There has been much growth because of these challenges and I praise God for His faithfulness through it all. Praise God for coffee and friends This semester has consisted of many outings, adventures, classes, and times of fellowship. For example, in the middle of the semester we took a trip to Nicaragua to get our passports stamped. That was a refreshing time spent together outside of the Villa. However, it is guaranteed that there are no guarantees...

GAP Costa Rica 2020

GAP Class of 2020 We have had 29 days all together here in Costa Rica! This year we have 8 staff members and 13 students. I am so thankful for the team the Lord has put together and for each of the students the Lord has brought to Costa Rica. I am so thankful to be here and to have the honor of caring for and loving these 13 students this year. Staff arrived August 13th and students arrived August 22nd. Since then we have done orientation, explored San Jose, did a scavenger hunt around Guadalupe, started Spanish classes, began ministries, started small groups, and had 4 Bible classes; Old Testament Survey, Hermeneutics, New Testament Survey and Church History. We have played lots of ultimate frisbee, plenty of Spicy Uno and there have been countless numbers of trips made to Automercado grocery store. So yeah, lots has happened in these last four weeks. Los Guido Ministry Team We started ministry in Los Guido. We are again having children's English class and youth cla...

Round Two

Hello all, As I mentioned before I am heading back to Costa Rica for a second year as the Female Student Life Coordinator for the GAP year program through Score International. This past year was challenging for sure which made for an excellent learning and growing experience. There were many highs and lows, but the grace of God was ever present. Through the course of these last nine months, we saw the Lord guide and direct 20 students, 4 interns, and 5 staff members closer to himself. I am beyond thankful for the year the Lord gave us and the students He sent to Costa Rica. I am also very excited for this coming year. I know that the Lord is going before us to send the right students and staff to Costa Rica. This year my role will be very much the same as last year. My ministry has been and is two parts. One is focusing on the GAP students. Second, it is leading a group of students to partner with Salva and Veronica in a town called Los Guido where my team is able to h...